Sunday, January 2, 2011

Food & Home: A New Year for Dinner

So another thing I wanted to do this year is cook a little healthier. My cooking got a little Paula Deanish lately. Not that there's anything wrong with using a stick of butter every once in a while.

So for a new year's day dinner I turn to my momma. She says her kids always call when they need a recipe or directions. I call her for both regularly. So she gave me this recipe for collard greens. I have always had a fear of cooking collards for various reasons, but I found out it was easy and wonderful.

And if you must know, I rarely use measurements so here's the best I can do to tell YOU what to do.

First cook some chopped onions in a little bit of butter, salt, pepper and spices. (I use Mrs. Dash sometimes because there's no salt) then add a little chicken stock and chop up your leaves of greens. Throw leaves in, as they wilt down a little, splash some more chicken stock and some vinegar in (I use Apple Cider Vinegar for most things). Cook until desired softness. About 20-30 minutes. I wanted them to feel sort of strong not mushy so I didn't cook as long.

Don't they just look healthy?



This was the final product. Black Eyed Peas, Collards and Pineapple pork-chops.


I feel like my accent got a little more Southern from this post.





2 comments:

Charis Hil said...

collard greens, and most "holiday meals" seem like a mountain to me. something that i cant imagine doing without my mom.
Way to go you, for making collard greens.
:)

anna naphtali said...

I know right? It was so easy I don't know what I've been afraid of all this time!